Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Mo(u)rning Portrait

At the Waterfrong CVS earlier today (store #1348) , I overheard a distraught elderly gentlman patiently trying to pick up medicine for his wife/daughter (I wasn't paying that much attention). Apparently CVS had misplaced the prescritions he dropped off yesterday so that he could have them today. The CVS technician offered neither to call the doctor (most of which have answering services for emergencies) nor to call the CVS pharmacy tech working yesterday (whom he described well - I've been to that pharmacy before) to find out if she knew if she had misplaced them.

Instead of helping him resolve the issue, she blew him off and shooed him out. When he asked if she would call the doctor about the prescriptions, she said it was unlikely the doc would answer and his best bet would be to come back tomorrow. She also refused to call the accurately-describted pharmacy tech. As he patiently pointed out (if it were ME, I'd be boiling over at this point), he had dropped off the prescriptions Yesterday so he could have them TODAY for his sick loved one. No one should have to wait a day for basic medical treatment because a retail employee is lazy.

Watching him shuffle out of the door has darkened my mood. I hope that missing one day of medication won't harm his loved one's medical treatment. I wish customer service were a bigger priority for CVS pharmacies.

I think I'll transfer my prescriptions to a different branch or find a entirely new pharmacy in my neighborhood - hopefully I can find a locally-owned one.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:16 PM

    Don't you love how CVS runs these commercials where the pharmacist tells a tale of the great length he or she went to help a customer, even going to their home after hours. The commercial always ends with the pharmacist introducing him or herself. You know it's BS.

    Rite Aid is just as bad. I went in to pick up a script but they had not filled it stating the insurance would not cover it. This was a med that I had been taking for months. The pharmacist refused to run it again or call the insurance. I pulled out my cell, and called the insurance myself. Come to find out the pharmacist entered the script incorrectly. I finally handed him my cell. He took the phone grudgingly. He finally filled the script. No apology, no have a nice day.

    I live in a small city, and there is literally a Rite Aid, CVS and Dunkin Donuts on every other block!

    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like when 9 News aired a story almost a year ago about the CVS (they didn't show or name where it was but I recognized it as the one on Van Dorn in Alexandria) that gave this woman the wrong prescription, and luckily she recognized the error before actually taking the pills.

    Why are the people at CVS so damned lazy and insouciant there? I have yet to go to a CVS in DC that offers good service!

    I hope the old man's situation was resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm watching 20/20 now and they're investigating prescription errors at drugstores.

    Errors:

    ---are starting to happen more frequently
    ---are not required to be reported by any association


    Prescriptions:

    ---are often filled not by pharmacists, but by pharmacy technicians, who are HIGH SCHOOL-AGED kids as young as sixteen. Some of them don't even have GEDs!

    That is ridiculous. We put our trust in these people for our health, and they break that trust.

    I really hope that when more people see this story changes will be made in pharmacies nationwide.

    ReplyDelete